welcome to the hike!

Working out the call!

I currently living in Millersburg or as God whispered in me ear four years ago in PA, "the land of my Fathers!" MILLERS - burg! OK! The best way to describe my life of late, is simply "Pastor-at-Large" I live "outside the box" of our usual expectation of life, family, employment and even culture. I live, breathe, and weave around a four county area as a local missionary and have learned of so many supportive faith communities. I meet people who contact me where they are in their 'hike 'o life."

The hats I wear are that of Life Coach, Writer, Speaker, Retreat Facilitator, Pastoral Supply, Prayer Counselor and well, whatever God calls on me to do (I actually get paid to do all of these things, which is awesome, unless you are helping me with my books!) I also work to "tent-make my mission work" as a church secretary for a sweet fellowship pastored by one of my favorite seminary prof's.

So what do I want to be when I grow up? Stay tuned! The goals are big and staying solvent month by month is a huge victory, but as I see my own heart and others hearts change and grow in my daily walk, I realize, I am not working for treasures on earth....I have direct deposit above. Guess that's a pretty sweet ride! Lacing up my hiking boots...on the hike o' life!























Saturday, April 9, 2011

man of sorrows

With so many problems plaguing today's world, it's no wonder people are looking for something to heal the pain. Some turn to relationships, expecting their close friends and family to settle the longings of the heart. Others turn to money, hoping their smart investments will somehow save them from financial problems.
Shopping. Drugs. Jobs. There's a number of different ways humans will try to deal with everyday struggles. But no matter how many things we try, the things of this world just can't save us from the worry and dissatisfaction of our souls. So many people jump from thing to thing, hopelessly searching for true joy and peace to their lives.

In this week's hymn, we hear a triumphant cry, announcing a Savior like no other. In the verses of "Hallelujah, What a Savior," we find a poetic reminder of Christ's death; a sacrifice that truly overcame the troubles of this world. For a hurting world, that's good news indeed!
In this coming week, take a moment to think and pray for_________and others who are still looking for salvation in the things of this world. When they look to you, will they see the way to true salvation? Will they see a lifestyle that joyfully celebrates Jesus, or will they see a person whose faith seems to make no impact on real life?
As we hear this week's hymn, let's put that "Hallelujah" into our everyday lives, so that others will notice the difference in our lives. And then, when they ask us where we find such joy, we can tell them about Jesus, the Savior who always gives us a reason to sing.






This great hymn is also introduced with portrayal of Martin Luther preaching on Isaiah 53 and his favorite topic, "God's Grace for Us!"

“Man of Sorrows!” what a name
For the Son of God, who came
Ruined sinners to reclaim.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Guilty, vile, and helpless we;
Spotless Lamb of God was He;
“Full atonement!” can it be?
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Lifted up was He to die;
“It is finished!” was His cry;
Now in Heav’n exalted high.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

When He comes, our glorious King,
All His ransomed home to bring,
Then anew His song we’ll sing:
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Preparing us for eternity, when all nations will praise God together, the word "Hallelujah" provides a similar expression of praise in all languages. "Hallelujah, What a Savior" uses the word to tie the cross with the triumph of the risen and reigning Lord.

The first four verses tell the crucifixion story, that Jesus, the "spotless Lamb of God," stood condemned in our place. He took on our sins for us, the "guilty, vile and helpless." Completing each short stanza, we cry out with overwhelming praise "Hallelujah, what a Savior!"

In the last public meeting before his untimely death, Philip Bliss the hymn's composer conducted a service at the Michigan State Prison for 800 inmates. Many of them wept in true repentance as he spoke of Jesus' redeeming death and sang the verses of "Hallelujah, What a Savior!"

No comments: