welcome to the hike!

Working out the call!

I currently living in Millersburg or as God whispered in me ear four years ago in PA, "the land of my Fathers!" MILLERS - burg! OK! The best way to describe my life of late, is simply "Pastor-at-Large" I live "outside the box" of our usual expectation of life, family, employment and even culture. I live, breathe, and weave around a four county area as a local missionary and have learned of so many supportive faith communities. I meet people who contact me where they are in their 'hike 'o life."

The hats I wear are that of Life Coach, Writer, Speaker, Retreat Facilitator, Pastoral Supply, Prayer Counselor and well, whatever God calls on me to do (I actually get paid to do all of these things, which is awesome, unless you are helping me with my books!) I also work to "tent-make my mission work" as a church secretary for a sweet fellowship pastored by one of my favorite seminary prof's.

So what do I want to be when I grow up? Stay tuned! The goals are big and staying solvent month by month is a huge victory, but as I see my own heart and others hearts change and grow in my daily walk, I realize, I am not working for treasures on earth....I have direct deposit above. Guess that's a pretty sweet ride! Lacing up my hiking boots...on the hike o' life!























Friday, April 15, 2011

ROAD TRIP DONE! SETTLED IN FOR SABBATH!

 1 Then, six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus was who had been dead,[a] whom He had raised from the dead. 2 There they made Him a supper; and Martha served, but Lazarus was one of those who sat at the table with Him. 3 Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.
4 But one of His disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, who would betray Him, said, 5 “Why was this fragrant oil not sold for three hundred denarii[b] and given to the poor?” 6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief, and had the money box; and he used to take what was put in it.
7 But Jesus said, “Let her alone; she has kept[c] this for the day of My burial. 8 For the poor you have with you always, but Me you do not have always.”

   9 Now a great many of the Jews knew that He was there; and they came, not for Jesus’ sake only, but that they might also see Lazarus, whom He had raised from the dead. 10 But the chief priests plotted to put Lazarus to death also, 11 because on account of him many of the Jews went away and believed in Jesus.  John 12: 1-11 NJKV


Ah - TGIF say the disciples, their two day journey from Jericho was complete and since Jesus had such great friends in Martha, Mary and Lazarus they had their housing "booked" in Bethany just on the outskirts of Jerusalem.  It is likely that the family had been preparing all day for at sundown the sabbath began.  So when their guests arrived, all could relax, enjoy and catch up.

Indeed much had happened since Lazarus rose from death, likely just a few weeks before.  Wouldn't you like to imagine the conversations that were going on at the dinner table.

But then, much to every ones surprise.  Mary breaks out the expensive anointing oil, two of the Gospels say she anointed his head, but John describes it as he did above.

What do they agree upon? 

It was not expected by anyone.

It was expensive.

It was puzzling to all pre crucifixion.

But as the commentaries I consulted say, it showed a gratefulness, a humility and a love that passes human understanding.



Bible Gateway commentary sums it up like this....

"Whether or not Mary fully knew what her actions meant, Jesus did. Mary was preparing him for burial. Jesus was telling his disciples (and us) that he was soon going to die. This is why this story is so important to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.  Jesus, the Good Shepherd, is going to lay down his life for his sheep. Jesus is going to soon die, and Mary was preparing his body for burial."

"In many ways and on many occasions, we care for our loved ones as they prepare to die. We stroke their foreheads, rub their hands and feet, and touch their skin. Touching someone as he/she prepares to die is a sign of compassion and connectedness even today. If we would rub someone’s forehead and rub their hands and feet and touch their skin in other circumstances, such actions could be misinterpreted as erotic and being overly familiar. But as someone is preparing to die, loving compassion motivates us to gently touch our parent or grandparent or child or dearest friend. Mary, having been a devoted disciple, seemed to comprehend that Jesus was going to die in the near future, more so than his disciples."

Wow - what a dinner party!  And of course we know that these events were all part of God plans, but for now we allow Sabbath rest for our party.  From Sundown on Friday til Sundown on Saturday.

Have you prayed for ________________ today?  Have you made contact with ___________ since our journey began?  Ask God to show you have to love them and TAKE ACTION.  Prayer is our means of positioning ourselves to hear GOD and then say as He guides us YES LORD! 

Have a great day!

No comments: