welcome to the hike!

Working out the call!

I currently living in Millersburg or as God whispered in me ear four years ago in PA, "the land of my Fathers!" MILLERS - burg! OK! The best way to describe my life of late, is simply "Pastor-at-Large" I live "outside the box" of our usual expectation of life, family, employment and even culture. I live, breathe, and weave around a four county area as a local missionary and have learned of so many supportive faith communities. I meet people who contact me where they are in their 'hike 'o life."

The hats I wear are that of Life Coach, Writer, Speaker, Retreat Facilitator, Pastoral Supply, Prayer Counselor and well, whatever God calls on me to do (I actually get paid to do all of these things, which is awesome, unless you are helping me with my books!) I also work to "tent-make my mission work" as a church secretary for a sweet fellowship pastored by one of my favorite seminary prof's.

So what do I want to be when I grow up? Stay tuned! The goals are big and staying solvent month by month is a huge victory, but as I see my own heart and others hearts change and grow in my daily walk, I realize, I am not working for treasures on earth....I have direct deposit above. Guess that's a pretty sweet ride! Lacing up my hiking boots...on the hike o' life!























Saturday, March 12, 2011

because its ALL HIS anyway

Praise the LORD.
   Praise the LORD, my soul.

 I will praise the LORD all my life;
   I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. 

 Do not put your trust in princes,
   in human beings, who cannot save.

When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
   on that very day their plans come to nothing. 

 Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob,
   whose hope is in the LORD their God.


 He is the Maker of heaven and earth,
   the sea, and everything in them—
   he remains faithful forever. 
 He upholds the cause of the oppressed
   and gives food to the hungry.
The LORD sets prisoners free,
 

 the LORD gives sight to the blind,
the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down,
   the LORD loves the righteous.

The LORD watches over the foreigner
   and sustains the fatherless and the widow,
   but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.

 
The LORD reigns forever,
   your God, O Zion, for all generations.

   Praise the LORD.    Psalm 146 NIV (emphasis from blogger)

My thoughts so far on this journey!

How is it going for you?  Three days in, and not really tempted to much yet and sensing God's presence each step along the way.

I don't think I ever shared what my Lenten Practice was going to be this year yet, so here I confess to you. Of course that just increases my accountability.

I am doing one strengthening practice by adding this blog and one fasting practice by limiting my television to less than 2 hours each day.  Since I live with my parents who are very tuned in with news, weather and some fun programs, I have chosen to have a few hours to connect with them as we share in what is on the old tube.  (And so while I can't be full blown march madness - I will get a few lunatic moments!)

As I contemplate each day, so far I really think that limiting is better than outright avoidance.  In this world God has given us many good things and if we don't use them we are not honoring God.  I often speak about this in measures of dietary practice.

Please enjoy the writing of Devin Brown from a Christianity Today Article on "Lent in Narnia...

C.S. Lewis makes this point in "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe"  as Edmund and Lucy so
Poignantly learn.  Early in the story, the White Witch creates a box filled with "several pounds" of Turkish Delight which Edmund greedily devours. Donald Glover has called Lewis's specific choice of Turkish Delight a master stroke, one made with clear intention. What would have been lost if the Witch had tempted Edmund with, for example, oatmeal and raisin cookies?

Turkish Delight is "a highly overrated sweet," and Narnia fans who have gone in search of the candy may agree, wondering how Edmund could have fallen prey to the overly sugared confection. Surely the name promises more than the candy delivers, and this, perhaps, is Lewis's point. Furthermore, it is not just Delight but Turkish Delight, a title containing, as Glover has observed, "Oriental and romantic overtones," further promises left unfulfilled by the sticky goo.

The Witch's magic candy is a sickly imitation of the wholesome food the children are served at the Beavers' house. There they eat boiled potatoes with "a great big lump of deep yellow butter" from which everyone can take "as much as he wanted." The main course is "good freshwater fish" followed by "a great and gloriously sticky marmalade roll" fresh from the oven and steaming hot. Afterwards, they each have a big cup of tea, push back their stools, and let out "a long sigh of contentment."

Lewis's point with the Turkish Delight, is not that enjoying sweets is bad; in fact, his position is quite the contrary. Enjoyment of life's pleasures in all their variety and plenitude will be an essential quality of proper Narnian life. This was seen earlier in the tea that Mr. Tumnus provided for Lucy which included "a nice brown egg, lightly boiled, for each of them, and then sardines on toast, and then buttered toast, and then toast with honey, and then a sugar-topped cake." Meilaender points out that in both his fiction and non-fiction, Lewis suggests over and over that "to be fully human involves a certain stance toward the things of creation," one of deep enjoyment but not slavish adoration.

"A properly Christian view of things requires more than a right relationship to the things of heaven," Jonathan Rogers writes.

"It requires a right relationship to the things of earth too." Rogers concludes that "by allowing the reader to watch the creation of another world, C. S. Lewis evokes an appropriate awe and delight in the things of this world."

...back to Darcy

And so I pray for each us a proper reordering as whatever practices we have taken up, denied or limited are helping us to more clearly see the world about us from a HEAVENLY PERSPECTIVE. 

I am most curious about others practices so please comment on the blog/email/facebook what you been led to do and each Saturday I will comment and seek comment on the balance, struggles and God moments within this journey.

I am also seeking some recipes to share that can be considered Lenten worthy (no meat, desserts, or rich in fat) SO PLUG IN WITH ME FOR THE JOURNEY.

And realize that God in working in you and through you and all around you,
OUR PRAYER OH LORD IS THAT WE SEE AND KNOW YOUR PRESENCE IN OUR LIVES.   Have a great day everyone!

No comments: