welcome to the hike!

Working out the call!

I currently living in Millersburg or as God whispered in me ear four years ago in PA, "the land of my Fathers!" MILLERS - burg! OK! The best way to describe my life of late, is simply "Pastor-at-Large" I live "outside the box" of our usual expectation of life, family, employment and even culture. I live, breathe, and weave around a four county area as a local missionary and have learned of so many supportive faith communities. I meet people who contact me where they are in their 'hike 'o life."

The hats I wear are that of Life Coach, Writer, Speaker, Retreat Facilitator, Pastoral Supply, Prayer Counselor and well, whatever God calls on me to do (I actually get paid to do all of these things, which is awesome, unless you are helping me with my books!) I also work to "tent-make my mission work" as a church secretary for a sweet fellowship pastored by one of my favorite seminary prof's.

So what do I want to be when I grow up? Stay tuned! The goals are big and staying solvent month by month is a huge victory, but as I see my own heart and others hearts change and grow in my daily walk, I realize, I am not working for treasures on earth....I have direct deposit above. Guess that's a pretty sweet ride! Lacing up my hiking boots...on the hike o' life!























Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesdays, Rain & Soup

"Better a small serving of vegetables with love
   than a fattened calf with hatred."  Proverbs 15:17 NIV

So we have made it this far in our journey.  I will be honest, I am having a difficult day!  I had planned on posting the recipe and kinda have a plan for these blogs, but I couldn't get on line this am!  I could run a quick list of complaints, but let me just state, that things don't seem to be going my way today!

However, I know GOD and I know that things are going to go HIS WAY in HIS TIME!  As we all get ongoing news of death, destruction and worries from the Japanese earthquake, we need to claim this.     As we all attempt to get our spiritual pulse on this journey we are on and we fall short, we need to claim this.  God is present and we can only pray for the transformed lives eternally that are not being reported on the evening news in Japan.  And we need to keep trusting and obeying even if we are not seeming to have things come out as we have planned. 

We can look to the master storyline of the Bible and see this.  GOD WILL HAVE HIS WAY.  From the beginning of Genesis to the eternal GLORY that only begins in REVELATION 21 and 22.  His way will correct us, rebuke us, teach us and guide us.

And in this MOMENT I JUST STOP AND PRAY - "THANK YOU LORD BECAUSE YOU ARE ABOVE ALL AND WILL BRING YOUR LOVE AND WILL TO PASS FOR ALL WHO LOVE YOU..."

 The proverb before the veggie proverb states,

 "Better a little with the fear of the LORD
   than great wealth with turmoil " 
Proverbs 15:16 NIV


This journey, whether our days go as we planned or not, is about lining up to God and allowing HIS WILL and HIS WAY to transform us!

on to the soup!

Tomorrow evening in Dushore PA, several churches will gather to begin their Lenten tradition of meeting as a ecuminical community.  The Catholic, Lutheran, Methodists and my former parish of calling will gather for soup at 6 and service at 7 each Wednesday between now and Palm Sunday.  There is something so wonderfully comforting about coming out and gathering for a light meal with friends and worshiping and learning together about life, our shared experiences and meeting each other on the common ground of Jesus. 

We didn't teach doctrine in those messages, we shared LOVE.  We together acknowledged our suffering but paused more importantly in the Holy reverence of the great suffering of the son of God for our sake.

This soup recipe is one my mom discovered since I have been home and we have enjoyed it several times.  It makes me think of our Lenten Soup and Service nights in SULCO, because as each church took turns to fix a variety of soups and each pastor and choir took turns bringing special music and message, we were always looking for new things to share.  This soup is truly a vegetarian fare, honoring those who are abstaining from meat is you a vegetable broth. 

This recipe is meatless, but DELICIOUS! 

So try it and you will go back for more - because it is so GOOD!


Bean and Pasta Soup from Taste of Home

Ingredients

  • 1 cup uncooked small pasta
  • 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
  • 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Hunt’s® Original Diced Tomatoes, undrained
  • 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups shredded fresh spinach
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, optional

Directions

  • Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick saucepan, saute the celery, carrots, onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes. Stir in the water, tomatoes, broth, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
  • Drain pasta; stir into vegetable mixture. Add the beans; heat through. Stir in spinach; cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
A PRAYER FOR A RAINY TUESDAY IN LENT,

Lord we call out, because at times this seems so hard, but we thank you for reminding us that Your Way is best.  Shape us and mold us and bless us as we seek You and your way.  Bring You Kingdom purposes and Glory, even admidst the earthly sufferings in Japan at this hour.  Make us ready for you ways in this season.  Give us willing and thankful hearts as we learn in the greatest lessons of Your Love as we journey closer to you.  AMEN!

No comments: