welcome to the hike!

Working out the call!

I currently living in Millersburg or as God whispered in me ear four years ago in PA, "the land of my Fathers!" MILLERS - burg! OK! The best way to describe my life of late, is simply "Pastor-at-Large" I live "outside the box" of our usual expectation of life, family, employment and even culture. I live, breathe, and weave around a four county area as a local missionary and have learned of so many supportive faith communities. I meet people who contact me where they are in their 'hike 'o life."

The hats I wear are that of Life Coach, Writer, Speaker, Retreat Facilitator, Pastoral Supply, Prayer Counselor and well, whatever God calls on me to do (I actually get paid to do all of these things, which is awesome, unless you are helping me with my books!) I also work to "tent-make my mission work" as a church secretary for a sweet fellowship pastored by one of my favorite seminary prof's.

So what do I want to be when I grow up? Stay tuned! The goals are big and staying solvent month by month is a huge victory, but as I see my own heart and others hearts change and grow in my daily walk, I realize, I am not working for treasures on earth....I have direct deposit above. Guess that's a pretty sweet ride! Lacing up my hiking boots...on the hike o' life!























Monday, March 28, 2011

Souping away Tuesdays - on my way to the James...

Thanks for the many prayers on my day off blogging!  I felt them and continue feel many prayers on this Lenten Journey. 

A friend at work reminded me that while this is a discipline it should not be a STRIVING discipline, but a joy! 

And it is!

The following Scripture has been rolling around my brain this day, so that will be my devotional sharing today. 

           "Be my strong refuge,
         To which I may resort continually;
         You have given the commandment to save me,
         For You are my rock and my fortress."  Psalm 71:3


What a great prayer for each of us as we struggle with the trials of life.  "Continually" is a biblical word that fascinates me.  Daniel is admired by the king of Babylon because "his God is with him CONTINUALLY" and this verse again reminds me that no matter what I am going through or what flaming arrows the enemy hurls into my life - I can go to GOD and HE IS present for me CONTINUALLY.  Other portions of this Psalm remind us to call upon Him and that He will incline His ear.  Lent with the struggles we all face in trying to draw nearer to God.

I am posting this Monday evening as I get to be the driver for my sister's chemotherapy treatment tomorrow.  So have a great day we probably will recal the recipe and other sister things as we head south.
  I am sure I will witness many inspiring things at the James Center on the Ohio State University Campus tomorrow!  Marcia did blog last night, so if you want to check out my Lil sis and her great writing the link to her page is  http://www.carepages.com/carepages/Marciajourney/updates/2976706?client_code=default&ipc=mur

This soup recipe I am going to share today is really one of those CONTINUALLY RECIPES!  I haven't made it but once this last year - that was when I still lived in PA. It is one of those "scratch plus" recipes that use products you bring home from the store, but then present in a way that is guaranteed ooh's and ah's.  Even if you just make it for yourself!

My mom or I clipped this out of the paper many years ago and our family had it often for a hearty Saturday lunch.  It may seem like more calories, but it is a complete meal.  And for a Lenten recipe of simplicity and freedom, it fits the bill!

So here is

Garlic Herb Tomato Soup in Bread Bowls with Croutons

One can of condensed tomato soup
2-4 unsliced Kaiser Rolls
(from your local bakery/grocery, most have these baked fresh in store)
Margarine 1-2 teaspoons
Olive Oil 1-2 teaspoons
Garlic - 1-2 cloves chopped, (or 1/2 teaspoon dehydrated granules)
Italian Seasoning 1-2 teaspoons
Parmesan Cheese - grated or shredded
Other Grated Cheeses as desired

This is THIS EASY!  Preheat your toaster oven or over to 350.  Taking a steak knife or paring knife "gut" the kaiser rolls - taking the top off and as much bread out of the center to hold the amount of soup you want to eat. (I usually let about 1/2 to 1 inch of bread around the sides.) 

You can let the tops intact for a fancy presentation, BUT I usually cut all the tops and "guts" into 1 inch cubes to make into yummy croutons for the soup or later!

So after you have the bread ready, grab the saucepan you cook your soup in.  Place the margarine and olive oil in and turn on to medium high heat on the burner.  When the oil is hot, just toss the garlic in until it is starts to cook - just a bit and then remove from the heat.  Add some - but not all the Italian seasoning. You can then take a brush or spoon to lightly drizzle in the bread bowls.  Then I take the croutons and just dump em in the saucepan then as they are coated put them on a baking sheet with the bread bowls.  I quickly sprinkle the bowls and croutons with some Parmesan cheese to taste and put them in the oven to toast about 10-15 minutes.

Now you simply add the soup and water to this totally awesome saucepan that is littered with garlic and oil and seasonings and heat up the soup.  I add a bit more Italian seasoning.

As the soup warms the bowls toast, when all is heated and toasted through - OR YOU CAN'T stand how good it smells any longer dip up immediately, top with croutons and cheeses as desired.  Unused bowls and croutons can be stored for a day or two in a dry place and of course you can refrigerate any leftover soup.  BUT REALLY this is seldom leftover!

Literally it took me longer to write this all down, that it will take you to make it!  And, this is one of those wonderful recipes that you can tweak in anyway you like with more garlic or less, use a different seasoning blend, you can use a different soup!  Have fun and experiment a bit!

That's the joy of the hike - we adapt to conditions.  This blogging practice  is helping me adapt and be flexible as I continue to see the next call and I CONTINUALLY realize that God is is with me to help me discern all these situations in this HIKE O' LIFE!

Don't forget to pray for ____________________-

Again thanking all those who prayed for me this day - Anybody have a light or meatless soup they want to share - I don't have a plan for next week yet!  Let me know if you do!?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

What an awesome way to serve soup, especially tomato! Love the blog!
Love you sister! Heidi

Craig Miller said...

Sounds delicious Darcy. Might try this one soon.