welcome to the hike!

Working out the call!

I currently living in Millersburg or as God whispered in me ear four years ago in PA, "the land of my Fathers!" MILLERS - burg! OK! The best way to describe my life of late, is simply "Pastor-at-Large" I live "outside the box" of our usual expectation of life, family, employment and even culture. I live, breathe, and weave around a four county area as a local missionary and have learned of so many supportive faith communities. I meet people who contact me where they are in their 'hike 'o life."

The hats I wear are that of Life Coach, Writer, Speaker, Retreat Facilitator, Pastoral Supply, Prayer Counselor and well, whatever God calls on me to do (I actually get paid to do all of these things, which is awesome, unless you are helping me with my books!) I also work to "tent-make my mission work" as a church secretary for a sweet fellowship pastored by one of my favorite seminary prof's.

So what do I want to be when I grow up? Stay tuned! The goals are big and staying solvent month by month is a huge victory, but as I see my own heart and others hearts change and grow in my daily walk, I realize, I am not working for treasures on earth....I have direct deposit above. Guess that's a pretty sweet ride! Lacing up my hiking boots...on the hike o' life!























Friday, March 25, 2011

The FRIDAY check of our Heart on the Hike!

Paul's Prayer for ALL - From Romans 10: 1-13 (Emphasis from Darcy)

 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved.

 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge.

For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
For Moses writes about the righteousness which is of the law, “The man who does those things shall live by them.”

 But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’”[ (that is, to bring Christ down from above)  or, “‘Who will descend into the abyss?’” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).

 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”
(that is, the word of faith which we preach):

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.”[For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him.

For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”



How clearly this scripture speaks to me!  And what a beautiful collage above from Joy C on Flicker.  I am looking forward to finding more of her work to enjoy! 

As promised, this is a "heart check" Friday edition of the Lenten HIKE.

Whenever someone has asked me "HOW CAN I KNOW" that I am right with God?

 How can I know that I am "saved"?

I turn to this, Romans 10: 9-10

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

I have been in many churches where I have heard many confessions of faith

- but then I see other things coming out of mouths and actions
that leads me
to wonder what is in these hearts?!

  I am sure if someone took a look at me they could, at times wonder as well!

  One of the "tag lines" that I would often say both to myself and to others
during my pastoral ministry in Pennsylvania was this.  

Only GOD KNOWS EACH HEART! 

I can listen to words and evaluate "fruit" or actions of my and others' efforts,

But I am NOT GOD and I DO NOT KNOW YOUR HEART.
(and at times I do not even trust my own!)
BUT I DO TRUST GOD AND WHAT HE SAYS.


MY point is this.  It's about THE HEART!

Another scripture for you to ponder today on this topic of heart and mouth are these words of Jesus from Matthew 12: 33-37
(again emphasis by me)

 “Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit.    Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart[  brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.  But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.  For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”


It's that simple!

In our next heart check Friday I am going to examine what believing in your heart looks like from a  scriptural perspective, but in basic terms the Scripture that Joy C. put on her photo collage tells us what we will see if we trust with our hearts:  HELP, JOY and  PRAISE. 

Psalm 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield;
         My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped;
         Therefore my heart greatly rejoices,
         And with my song I will praise Him.

So as I prepare for the rest of my day, let's close by the simplicity of trusting like a child. 
   

Just trusting, showing faith, practicing belief (at whatever lever you are capable of today) in your heart - that is all God is asking of us.

PRAY WITH ME -

Lord - I am glad that you know my heart and the heart of each one of those created in your image.  HELP US TO EXPOSE OUR HEARTS to YOU - YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT WHAT IS IN YOUR HEARTS, but until we bring it to YOU and allow your work in us our efforts at righteousness - "getting it right" on our own are worthless.  Thank you for YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS poured upon us through Christ's sacrifice FOR US.  Help us to SIMPLY BELIEVE and TRUST and feel that joy of rejoicing.

And LORD - many of us have chosen to pray for someone YOU HAVE PUT On OUR HEARTS for this season. We simply bring them_________________ before you as well.  That you would touch them___________ with a desire in their hearts to know and trust and believe.  We pray that _________________ will be able to speak as David did in that Psalm, that they are HELPED by YOU and that they can REJOICE in YOU.  In JESUS NAME, AMEN




No comments: