welcome to the hike!

Working out the call!

I currently living in Millersburg or as God whispered in me ear four years ago in PA, "the land of my Fathers!" MILLERS - burg! OK! The best way to describe my life of late, is simply "Pastor-at-Large" I live "outside the box" of our usual expectation of life, family, employment and even culture. I live, breathe, and weave around a four county area as a local missionary and have learned of so many supportive faith communities. I meet people who contact me where they are in their 'hike 'o life."

The hats I wear are that of Life Coach, Writer, Speaker, Retreat Facilitator, Pastoral Supply, Prayer Counselor and well, whatever God calls on me to do (I actually get paid to do all of these things, which is awesome, unless you are helping me with my books!) I also work to "tent-make my mission work" as a church secretary for a sweet fellowship pastored by one of my favorite seminary prof's.

So what do I want to be when I grow up? Stay tuned! The goals are big and staying solvent month by month is a huge victory, but as I see my own heart and others hearts change and grow in my daily walk, I realize, I am not working for treasures on earth....I have direct deposit above. Guess that's a pretty sweet ride! Lacing up my hiking boots...on the hike o' life!























Monday, March 14, 2011

So on for Forty - why forty?

"Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry."   Luke 4:1-2

Forty

There are so many times when we see the number forty in scriptures.

The great flood had rain for 40 days and nights.

Both Isaac and Esau were forty when they married.

Moses was called up to the Lord on Sinai for 40 days.

The Isrealites were in the desert for 40 years.

The spies were sent into Canaan for 40 days.

Both David and Solomon ruled over all Isreal for 40 years.

Elijah traveled for 40 days and nights to have respite with God at Horeb.

Jesus in the passage above - was 40 days in the desert - being tempted after he was filled with the Holy Spirit.

Jesus after the resurrection spent 40 days teaching the disciples before His ascension.

Paul noted that as a prisoner, he recieved 40 lashes.

And that is only scratching the surface, there are many more instances.  Check it out!

WHY FORTY?!

Many scholars far greater than I have argued whether the "forty" in scriptures are literal or symbolic and I am not going to enter that discussion.  In my simple theology, it doesn't matter. 

As I read the scriptures and keep seeing the forty's pop up.....

Forty is a season.

A significant season.

A season God wants us to notice.

Forty is a long time, but not forever.

Forty seems like a long time to suffer, but really it will be over before you realize.

Forty is a great amount of time to have to immerse in something you enjoy, but it really isn't long enough.  Can you imagine the disciples getting to hang out with Jesus after they thought it was over...but then He had to go again....they still didn't understand and how could they of - WOULD YOU HAVE? 

So as we head into this journey of 40 days (forty six counting the Sunday's)

It's doable.

And even if you struggle,

Well, you are supposed to struggle

and if you fall off, you get up, shake it off and start again!

 I really haven't even come close to wanting to overdo the television limits.  I am prefering to work on this other lenten discipline or read. 




How bout you?

And if you have given up chocolate, those huge Easter bunnies that you can bit the heads off, will be here before you know it.  How sweet they will taste after you have abstained from them for just forty.

Forty - is a good number - hang on to it!

On a side note - I was very blessed at the megachurch I attented yesterday by worship and message
and of great interest to me -

An  invatation to fast and pray for 40 days.  They are not beginning their discipline until March 15 so are counting the Sundays in their journey

 They are not calling it "LENT" - but so graciously invited all to reconnect and recommit to corporately and individually draw nearer to God, to see and know Him more clearly as Easter draws near.

And that my friend is what it is all about - an invitation to walk with HIM more closely!

These are forty's worth noting!

PRAYING ALL IS WELL WITH YOU AS YOU JOURNEY CLOSER TO CHRIST FOR THIS SEASON OF FORTY!

1 comment:

Keith & Gloria said...

Very good Darcy-This hymn came to mind--
Forty days and forty nights,Thou wast fasting in the wild..Forty days and forty nights Tempted, and yet undefiled.
Shalt not we Thy sorrow share, And from earthly joys abstain, Fasting with unceasing prayer, Glad with Thee to suffer pain.
And if Satan, vexing sore, Flesh or spirit should assail, Thou, his vanquisher before, Grant we may not faint nor fail.
Keep, O keep us, Savior dear, Ever constant by Thy side; That with Thee we may appear-At the eternal Easter-tide.. Amen