welcome to the hike!

Working out the call!

I currently living in Millersburg or as God whispered in me ear four years ago in PA, "the land of my Fathers!" MILLERS - burg! OK! The best way to describe my life of late, is simply "Pastor-at-Large" I live "outside the box" of our usual expectation of life, family, employment and even culture. I live, breathe, and weave around a four county area as a local missionary and have learned of so many supportive faith communities. I meet people who contact me where they are in their 'hike 'o life."

The hats I wear are that of Life Coach, Writer, Speaker, Retreat Facilitator, Pastoral Supply, Prayer Counselor and well, whatever God calls on me to do (I actually get paid to do all of these things, which is awesome, unless you are helping me with my books!) I also work to "tent-make my mission work" as a church secretary for a sweet fellowship pastored by one of my favorite seminary prof's.

So what do I want to be when I grow up? Stay tuned! The goals are big and staying solvent month by month is a huge victory, but as I see my own heart and others hearts change and grow in my daily walk, I realize, I am not working for treasures on earth....I have direct deposit above. Guess that's a pretty sweet ride! Lacing up my hiking boots...on the hike o' life!























Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's Tuesday again, they are calling for rain and yes MORE SOUP!

More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,   Romans 5:3-4 ESV


We are fully into this season of Lent and as I share one of my FAVORITE recipes today, let me tackle a few odds and ends. 

HOW ARE YOU DOING!?  Writing the blog has been more of a Lenten challenge for me than to limit the television!  As you might remember I told you my disciplines were to blog daily on Lent (and/or Walking with God in our daily lives) and to not watch more than two hours of television a day. 

Only once, (and actually it was yesterday!)  did I exceed the two hours of allotted time and it was really just a few minutes over!  But none the less, I am now confessing this to you.  Are you having any struggles with your discipline that you are practicing? 

Some of my friends have given up soda (pop) and they are realizing how much they desire it at times.  It is hard, but the idea is that in your weakness of wanting something you have given up, to cry out to God and let Him show Himself to you in your weaknesses.

Many folks have commented on the concept of "fearing God" that I spoke on yesterday, I too am learning and will be sharing more of this during our shared journey in preparation to be ready to celebrate the full meaning of the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ.

This recipe is a typical Lenten dish from our European roots, the recipe is actually more of a guideline than anything else.  I am the fourth generation to enjoy this in America!  The ingredients are those items that would be staples in a household of rural folks in winter; potatoes, carrots, fat, flour, spices and to top it off those scraps of cheese that you want to use up. 

THICK SWISS POTATO SOUP

potatoes                     margarine
carrots                        flour
celery                         salt                         
onion                          pepper
water                          assorted cheese

Peel and dice potatoes into 1/2" - 3/4" pieces and fill a 2 quart saucepan just over half way. Chop up into similar size pieces the peeled carrots, celery and onion to your taste.  Cover all with water slightly salted and bring to a slow boil until cooking until vegetables are tender.  (DO NOT DRAIN THE WATER OFF THE POTATOES) In a skillet make a roux with 2-3 Tablespoons of margarine/butter. As the butter melts add1/4 cup flour and stir them together to mix and allow the flour to slightly brown and be "cooked".  

Add the roux into the potato pot and stir and cook until thickened.  Have cheeses cut up and  as each person gets their serving of this lucsious thick potato 'stew' they can bury their cheese under the stew or stir it in.  I like to add Lawry's or Old Bay seasoning salt to my portion with cracked black pepper.  We often enjoy this with cooked apples, which is another staple of a winter home during Lent. 

You can make your soup thinner by using less roux, you can boil your potatoes in a chicken broth for a different flavor.  You can of course add bacon bits, or parsley or chives or anything you like but for me and for lent I just like my soup thick and chunky with the ingredients I have dumped in!  This picture, I would consider to be a runny version of the soup, but you get the idea and its more a technique than a recipe. 



In my simple heart, this is pure comfort food that I likely would NOT prepare for someone outside my family.  This dish is not really very pretty, but it is full of nutrients and will satisfy the most hungry.  Hope you consider this a nourishing option for body and soul as you journey on toward the cross of Lent and the empty tomb of Easter!

Will just close with some great lenten quotes for you to consider today...

I live on good soup, not on fine words. 
 - Moliere (1622-1673) 

"How can we complain when He Himself was considered 'as one struck by God and afflicted'." (Isa. 53:4)
~   Therese of Lisieux

"Are you capable of risking your life for someone? Do it for Christ."
~Pope John Paul II

"Nothing, how little so ever it be, if it is suffered for God's sake, can pass without merit in the sight of God."
~Thomas a Kempis

No comments: